Frequently Asked Question
These are instructions on how to reset your Chromebook to factory default settings. This will help fix many apps and extensions that are not working correctly, and can be combined with clearing your local data to fix many of the most common Chromebook issues.
Please be sure you have these instructions open somewhere besides the Chromebook you will be resetting, as it will not be available to read off of until you are finished with the process.
Hit the Escape, Refresh and Power keys all at the same time for about half a second. The chromebook should turn off and restart after a few seconds. The power button for the older black chromebooks is on the right side, to the right of the backspace key.
2. Depending on the model of Chromebook, once it turns back on, it will either display a screen with a yellow exclamation point, or one with a blue arrow and picture of a USB stick. Either way, you should see “Please insert a recovery USB stick or SD card” somewhere on the screen. While on that screen, press the “Ctrl” key and “D” at the same time.
3. This will cause a screen which says “To turn OS verification OFF, press ENTER” to appear. Follow the prompt and press the ENTER key.
4. The system will now reboot, and come to a screen with a red exclamation mark that says “OS verification is OFF. Press SPACE to re-enable.” Then “Press ENTER to confirm you wish to turn OS verification on...” Press the SPACE key then ENTER key to confirm
5. You will see a screen with a green check mark before the system reboots again and shows a loading screen.
Once it reboots a final time, you will be greeted with a Chrome “Welcome” screen. Press the blue “Get Started” button and then enter your Wi-Fi information on the next screen to connect to the internet. Once you are connected you will need to accept Google’s Terms of Service by clicking the blue "Accept and Continue" button.
6. You will be brought to a screen that says “Enterprise Enrollment” and has a spot for you to login. Enter your D118 email and password as usual to sign in (students, this is your IDnumber@d118.org)
7. Once you enter your sign in information, there will be a loading screen that should say “Enrolling device” and then a completion screen that says “Enterprise Enrollment Complete”.
Hit the blue “Done” button and the Chromebook will be ready for use again. Sign in as usual and everything will begin to download and synchronize with your bookmarks and programs.
Please submit a help desk ticket if you get stuck at any point on this guide.